Remember last March when we joked that lockdown would cause a baby boom? Turns out being locked up with the person you love isn’t as romantic as we first thought.
Here are some of our favourite ways to spice up your love life this Valentine’s Day and beyond…
Eating certain foods to increase desire is nothing new. The use of aphrodisiacs to boost libido is thought to date back to ancient Assyria!
Chances are you’ll be familiar with oysters, but there’s lots of vegan alternatives you may not know about. Here’s a few we like…
- Figs: The fruit of the ficus tree, figs are renowned for their uniquely soft yet chewy texture – but they’re also fantastic at getting you in the mood. An excellent source of libido-increasing amino acids, this flavonoid and antioxidant-rich ingredient is thought to increase sexual stamina. Just saying…
- Dark chocolate: Turns out this Valentine’s Day staple improves your lover’s mood for more than one reason. Cacao contains tryptophan, which helps the brain release serotonin, AKA the happiness chemical. Thanks to phenylethylamine, dark chocolate also increase levels of dopamine, which affects the brain’s pleasure centres.
- Pistachios: This tasty green nut decreases blood pressure and stimulates blood flow, making it a pro at reducing the symptoms of erectile disfunction.
- Truffles: A high-end ingredient beloved by many, truffles were commonly used as an aphrodisiac in ancient Rome. The theory is that the musky scent replicates the scent of the male pheromone androstenone.
- Garlic: It might seem counterintuitive but this strong-smelling ingredient is actually a very powerful aphrodisiac. That’s because garlic contains allicin, thought to increase blood flow to sexual organs. Go easy though!
- Saffron: This bright yellow spice has long been used to support libido in men and women. Studies have found it effective at increasing arousal, lubrication and erectile function – a win-win for everyone.
Make a meal out of it by challenging yourself to make a starter, main or dessert out of some of these ingredients… Want to really treat your love? Make all three!
Need some inspiration? We love the look of this Dark Chocolate Dipped Fig recipe…
Food isn’t the only thing that can boost your lover’s mood. Certain scents are powerful aphrodisiacs too!
Renowned for its ability to soothe and ease tension, Clary Sage is great for getting you into the mood too. This uniquely musky scent is thought to balance oestrogen and progesterone levels, as well as decrease libido-zapping cortisol, keeping your sex drive up! Find it in Take Off – Touch Down – wink wink.
Considered the “herb of love,” Lavender’s mood-boosting services have been employed throughout history by lovers hoping to woo. As scientific studies have shown, this stress-busting ingredient promotes a sense of calm and stimulates blood flow in men. Thank us later…
Cedarwood is another essential oil sure to get you in a loving mood. This woody scent promotes similar effects to the hormone andostenone, including relieving tension and mental blocks – which in turn promotes sensuality!
Combining notes of lavender with musky cedarwood and patchouli, Flight Mode caters to the scents found most attractive by men (floral) and women (woody), making it a sexy choice for either sex. Why not roll it onto both of your pressure points before bed and see where it goes?
Doing a workout together might not sound sexy but hear us out…
We all know that exercise boosts endorphins, making us feel happier and more confident, both of which are key to feeling in the mood for physical acts of love. Well, according to research, working out with your partner also leads to better sex too!
Looking for a Valentine’s Day activity that’ll spice up your love life? Get sweaty with a couple’s workout. Whether that means a run, yoga session or virtual HIIT class, exercising together is a great way to bond, as well as get those mood-boosting chemicals.
Plus, it’s a rule universally acknowledged that your partner never looks sexier than when they’re fresh out of a gym session. Sorry, we don’t make the rules…
Follow up with a shower or bath together for extra sexiness. See our tips for the perfect bath here.
Got lots to fit in this Valentine’s Day? Take Off – Touch Down is the post-workout speed cleansing solution you need…
Physical touch is one of the five key love languages that humans use – so, why not remind your partner how much you love them with a massage?
Containing hyaluronic acid, ceramides and more, our award-winning hydration balm A-Game glides effortlessly onto skin, making it the perfect alternative to a traditional massage oil. Lightweight and contained in a handy tube, the non-greasy balm-to-oil formula sinks quickly into skin, making it fabulously mess-free. Apply direct or warm between your palms first.
As A-Game works best on damp skin, it’s a dream follow-up to a relaxing bath. If you haven’t joined them in the bath, why not surprise your lover with a massage once they’re out? A-Game can be used from head to toe, including your face, so the focus of your massage is up to you…
Want to turn it up another notch? Add a Gua Sha! This lets you vary the texture and temperature of your massage. See more tips here.
Snuggling up to watch something together might be many couples’ go-to weekend activity already, but hey – if it’s not broke, don’t fix it!
Get in the mood with these sexy movies…
- Basic Instinct (1992)
- Ghost (1990)
- Closer (2004)
- Carmen Jones (1954)
- The Thomas Crown Affair (1999)
If you enjoyed this article, you’ll love our newsletter – Sign up here .