You’ve probably had Chia seeds in a smoothie or pudding cup, but how well do you know their skincare benefits?
Derived from the tiny black seeds of the Chia plant, Chia Seed Oil is the richest known botanical source of Omega-3, an essential fatty acid that soothes skin and imparts a glowing, youthful appearance.
Read on for more compelling reasons to add Chia Seed Oil to your skincare routine, especially if you suffer from dry and sensitive skin.
3 fascinating facts about Chia Seed oil
1. ORIGIN: Chia Seed Oil is extracted from the seeds of the Chia, or Salvia Hispanica, plant. Native to central and southern Mexico and Guatemala, it’s actually a member of the Mint family. There is some confusion over the origin of the word “Chia”. Some say it originates from the Mayan word for “strength” or “strengthening”, while others argue it’s derived from the Aztec, or Nahuatl, word “Chian”, meaning “oily”.
2. NUTRIENTS: Chia seeds are a complete source of dietary protein and very high in soluble fibre. Historically, Aztec warriors and runners would use a single tablespoon of Chia seeds to sustain themselves for an entire day! Chia also plays an active role in traditional medicine and is used to help heal wounds, relieve joint pain, battle colds and sore throats, and even as an eye wash.
3. SKINCARE: Chia Seed Oil is the richest plant source of Omega-3 or ALA (alpha-linolenic acid) currently known. Omega-3 fatty acids are essential nutrients found in certain foods with lots of skincare benefits.
6 Benefits of Chia Seed Oil and Omega 3 essential fatty acid for Skin
1. Keeps skin hydrated
Your skin barrier function relies on Omega-3 to function properly. When working properly, it acts like a seal that keeps moisture in and irritants out, however, when skin is compromised, moisture escapes, causing skin to become dry, rough and more prone to irritation. Topical application of Chia Seed Oil, rich in Omega-3 (and Omega-6) essential fatty acids, helps strengthen that seal. A healthy barrier is the foundation for a beautiful complexion, so Chia Seed Oil will help keep you smooth, plump and hydrated.
2. Keeps skin looking youthful
When irritants such as pollution, stress or an unhealthy diet trigger inflammation, your skin’s collagen suffers. This makes it harder for skin to bounce back when you make facial expressions. Omega-3 is associated with a healthier skin membrane and Chia Seed Oil’s high Omega-3 fatty acid content helps prevent this weakening by reinforcing the epidermis and reducing the appearance of fine lines.
3. Soothes breakouts, dry & irritated skin
A healthy barrier is particularly important for those with dry and sensitive skin. Omega-3 fatty acids are powerful anti-inflammatories and Chia seed oil’s anti-inflammatory response can help subdue breakouts, and prevent and treat itchy, dry skin conditions.
4. Balances oil production
Omega-3 fatty acids also help balance sebum production, preventing skin from clogging up and breaking out. This vital nutrient plays a key role in stabilising the hormones involved in the body’s stress response. In fact, research shows that Omega-3 tends to reduce levels of cortisol, a stress hormone linked with sebum production.
5. Helps protect skin from the sun
Additionally, one study found that these fats protect skin cells against sun-induced inflammation and help control how the body responds to UV rays, thereby mitigating damage. Omega-3 fatty acids also fortify cell membranes, allowing them to protect other parts of the cell against free radical damage which can manifest as fine lines, dark spots and crepiness.
6. Softens Dry Skin
Chia Seed Oil is a rich emollient that helps heal and soften rough, dry skin and can have a soothing effect on irritation, dermatitis, cracked skin, minor cuts, burns, and scrapes.
As much as we love Chia for its nutritional benefits, we love the oil from these little seeds even more for its skincare benefits. Lucky for you, all of these can be enjoyed in LBB’s A-Game hydration balm which combines the benefits of Chia Seed Oil with other high-performing plant based ingredients for even greater skin benefits. We source only the best Chia Seed oil, COSMOS certified, non GMO and carefully extracted to ensure its integrity.
If you loved this article, you’ll love our newsletter – Sign up here