DO YOU STRUGGLE TO FIND THE MOTIVATION FOR A FULL ROUTINE AT NIGHT?
This article is for you. Cleansing your face at night is the foundation to any good skincare practice. Yet, a recent poll of 2,000 men and women, found that most people struggle with it. The no1. “skincare sin” was people skipping washing their faces before bedtime. Why? People feel “too tired” to do it. With added responsibilities like zoom schooling and working in unsuitable home conditions – it’s not getting easier. So if you’ve resolved that this is the year for your “new year, new skin” resolution then we have some practical strategies to help get you on your way.
DOES IT MATTER IF YOU SKIP WASHING YOUR FACE AT NIGHT?
Short answer – Yes. During the day, natural oils and sweat accumulate on the skin. You are also exposed to the environment, which means that dirt and pollution build up on the skin. Then there’s also product residue from the day, such as makeup and spf. All of which when left on skin overnight can prevent the skin from “breathing. It also hinders the skin’s process of repair and regeneration while you sleep. All of which can clog the pores and heap havoc such as acne breakouts, skin irritation, inflammation etc. It also prevents your moisturisers and expensive serums from penetrating your skin to work effectively. While you may not see the effect of skipping a day, the effect multiplies with each day that goes by without washing your face.
A 3 STEP GUIDE TO PREVENT LAZY DAYS FROM STEALING YOUR GLOW ?
STEP 1. DEVELOP A RITUAL TO MAKE STARTING EASIER.
Rituals and routines are so important because if you can develop a ritual that makes getting your routine in at night mindless and automatic, then it will be much easier to follow through. Here are some simple ideas to help you get started.
- Stack your cleansing habit on top of a current habit i.e. something you probably already do in the evening. What do you look forward to at the end of the day? Perhaps it’s having dinner with your loved ones, catching up on your favourite tv show? Commit to completing your skincare routine before you do that. By doing it first, not only are you avoiding your most tired time, there’s also a reward at the end.
- Set a schedule or alarm for yourself
- Make it social – invite your partner, kids, or housemates to join in
- Write an intention statement to act as a reminder. A simple statement like “Today, I will clean my face at 7pm”. Written on a post-it note and stuck in visible places around your home guarantees the constant reminder.
- Use a habit marker. Just like a gold star, do something as simple a tick on a calendar fridge whenever you complete it as a reminder of what you’ve achieved.
2. START WITH A RITUAL THAT IS RIDICULOUSLY SMALL AND EASY THAT YOU CAN’T SAY NO.
The best way to make daily cleansing a habit is to start with a routine that is so easy that you can do it even when you are running low on willpower and can’t be motivated to even make it to the sink. In fact in the beginning, keep it simple and just focus on finding a way to get started in the shortest possible time rather than worrying about having to do an entire routine. Wipes are convenient and while they may not be the ideal everyday cleansing solution, it could be all you have to do to consider today’s goal to cleanse a success. Often, this little start will be enough to get your motivation flowing to complete the rest of your routine. Keep wipes like our Take Off, Touch Down Biodegradable Cleansing Cloths handy by your bedside for the days you need it. Read on to understand why not all wipes are made equal.
3. MAKE IT SATISFYING!
Finally, you are more likely to stick with a routine if you enjoy it! In the winter, a warming cleansing balm feels nicer than a cold wash. It’s also a no-brainer that you’ll be more motivated to stick with a ritual if you look forward to the way your products smell and make you feel.
STRUGGLING TO FIND THE MOTIVATION FOR A FULL ROUTINE?
Our easy-to-use, multi-tasking products offer convenience and efficacy. E.g, Our Take Off, Touch Down Biodegradable Cleansing Cloths combines all your routines – cleanse, exfoliate, tone, hydrate and strengthen your skins microbiome in one easy step. Unlike drugstore wipes steeped in preservatives that can be harsh when left on the skin, each sheet is biodegradable sheet and kept fresh and effective in individual foil wrappers. So not only is it kind to the environment, it’s kind to skin.
Discover how to incorporate our other multitasking heroes in your night time beauty sleep rituals here, and shop the entire collection here. If you enjoyed this article, you’ll love our newsletter – Sign up here . You can also follow us on Instagram @lbbskincare to get even more valuable skincare and wellness tips.